- These age structure charts display the rates per 100k of Covid cases, ICU hospital admissions, non-ICU hospital admissions, and deaths in Minnesota. These charts quantify the risk to an individual in each age group, in contrast to our other age structure charts which show the overall numbers of cases, admissions, and deaths in total for each age group for each week. These charts are an update of the population rate charts we posted here on 8/30/2022: https://healthy-skeptic.com/
2022/08/30/age-structure- charts-august-25-population- rates/.
- The data for the charts on cases comes from the data file “cage.csv”, Case Rate by Age Group, published by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) here: https://www.health.state.mn.
us/diseases/coronavirus/stats/ case.html. The link to the data file is located in the notes under the graphic “Case Rate by Age Group”. Similarly, the data for hospital admissions is taken from the data file “hage.csv”, Hospitalization Rate by Age Group available here: https://www.health.state.mn. us/diseases/coronavirus/stats/ hosp.html . The data in this data file is plotted without modification except that we are taking the difference between total hospital admissions and ICU admissions in order to display non-ICU admissions. Finally, the data for deaths is taken from the data file “dage.csv”, Mortality Rate by Age Group, available here” https://www.health.state.mn. us/diseases/coronavirus/stats/ death.html.
- Fig. 1 and 2: Covid Cases Per 100k Per Week. For the week ending 8/20/2022, all age groups are slightly lower, with the 0-4 age group declining the most. Interesting that the 5-11 and 12-17 age groups are so dramatically lower than the other age groups despite fairly low vaccination rates. Yet the 0-4 age group has relatively elevated infection rates along with the lowest vaccination rates.
- Fig. 3 and 4: ICU Covid Admissions Per Week. It remains difficult to discern a trend in ICU Covid admissions. The is a quite a lot of variation week to week, and the 65+ age group, for example, has a reported decline in the most recent week in the context of an increasing trend.
- Fig. 5 and 6: Non-ICU Covid Admissions Per Week. While there is a sizeable drop in Covid admissions for the 65+ age group, the other age groups are amazingly stable.
- Fig. 7 and 8: Covid Deaths Per Week. Due to reporting lags we are omitting the most recent week of data. For the week of 8/20/2022, the most recent week we have plotted data, all of the reported Covid deaths were in the 65+ age group. This data is revised retroactively, however, so additional deaths will be added later.