As Dave points out, the main thing to note here is that the elderly continue to have a much higher rate of hospitalizations. This could be incidentals, but also likely reflects the continued declining effectiveness of the vax.
- These age structure charts display the rates per 100k of Covid cases, ICU hospital admissions, non-ICU hospital admissions, and deaths in Minnesota. These charts quantify the risk to an individual in each age group, in contrast to our other age structure charts sets which show the overall numbers of cases, admissions, and deaths in total for each age group for each week. These charts are an update of the population rate charts posted here on 8/23/2022: https://healthy-skeptic.com/
2022/08/23/age-structure- charts-august-18-population- rates/.
- The data for the charts on cases comes from the data file “cage.csv”, Case Rate by Age Group, published by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) here: https://www.health.state.mn.
us/diseases/coronavirus/stats/ case.html. The link to the data file is located in the notes under the graphic “Case Rate by Age Group”. Similarly, the data for hospital admissions is taken from the data file “hage.csv”, Hospitalization Rate by Age Group available here: https://www.health.state.mn. us/diseases/coronavirus/stats/ hosp.html . The data in this data file is plotted without modification except that we are taking the difference between total hospital admissions and ICU admissions in order to display non-ICU admissions. Finally, the data for deaths is taken from the data file “dage.csv”, Mortality Rate by Age Group, available here” https://www.health.state.mn. us/diseases/coronavirus/stats/ death.html.
- Fig. 1 and 2: Covid Cases Per 100k Per Week. For the week ending 8/20/2022, all age groups are slightly lower, with the 0-4 age group declining the most.
- Fig. 3 and 4: ICU Covid Admissions Per Week. All age groups are roughly 1 Covid ICU admission per 100k or lower, except the 65+ age group at approximately 3.5 admissions per 100k.
- Fig. 5 and 6: Non-ICU Covid Admissions Per Week. The separation of the admission rates for the 65+ age group and the other age groups continues to stand out. We have not pressed MDH for data on the numbers of incidental Covid positive tests for individuals being admitted for other non-Covid reasons, but it must be a sizeable percentage based on anecdotal news stories.
- Fig. 7 and 8: Covid Deaths Per Week. Due to reporting lags we are omitting the most recent week of data. For the week of 8/13/2022 the majority of reported Covid deaths were in the 65+ age group, with several also in the 50-64 age group. This data is revised retroactively, however, so additional deaths will be added later.