You often hear about the 80/20 rule, 80% of time one thing is true and the remaining 20% is something different. This epidemic looks like it follows a 90/10 rule. It appears that about 90% of all infections are asymptomatic or very mild. In the remaining 10% of cases, it looks like maybe 10% of that group, or 1% of the population, require hospitalization. And in that 1%, maybe 10% die, or one-tenth of a percent of the population. But that is for the population as a whole. If you took the non-frail elderly population, it would be more like the 99/1 rule. Maybe one serious case out of a hundred people, maybe. And maybe one-hundred of a percent deaths, maybe. Just shows the extreme bifurcation of the disease.
✅ Subscribe via Email
About this Blog
The Healthy Skeptic is a website about the health care system, and is written by Kevin Roche, who has many years of experience working in the health industry. Mr. Roche is available to assist health care companies through consulting arrangements through Roche Consulting, LLC and may be reached at [email protected].
Healthy Skeptic Podcast
This is an outstanding report on total global drug spending and trends, with projections out to 2025. It helps you understand this important area of health care, which does much...
June 1, 2021
MedPAC 2019 Report to Congress
June 18, 2019
Sidekick Health welcomes new investors, who pumped $55 million into “digital therapeutics”, another over-hyped supposedly disruptive health care trend. This involves the typical phone apps, etc. that will instantly make...
May 7, 2022
A company called Hello Heart raises a fresh $70 million in capital for yet another app that supposedly helps improve management of cardiac health. I despair about the sanity of...
May 3, 2022
Having private investors own health care facilities isn’t all bad. They may jack prices up mercilessly, but they don’t appear to hurt outcomes for care and may even improve them,...
April 30, 2022
Access ACO Care Management Chronic Disease Comparative Effectiveness Consumer Directed Health Consumers Devices Disease Management Drugs EHRs Elder Care End-of-Life Care FDA Financings Genomics Government Health Care Costs Health Care Quality Health Care Reform Health Insurance Health Insurance Exchange HIT HomeCare Hospital Hospital Readmissions Legislation M&A Malpractice Meaningful Use Medicaid Medical Care Medicare Medicare Advantage Mobile Pay For Performance Pharmaceutical Physicians Providers Regulation Repealing Reform Telehealth Telemedicine Wellness and Prevention Workplace